- Prof. Helen Cooper
- Dr Rian Griffiths
- Dr Andrea Lopez-Clavijo
- Dr Jinglei Yu
- Gloria Ulasi
- Tom Powell
- Edwin Aponte Angarita
- Klaudia Kocurek
- Emma Sisley
- Anna Simmonds
Former group members
My research focuses on optimising the analysis of protein species by ESI compatible surface sampling techniques such as LESA (Advion) and the flowprobe (Prosolia). Optimisation of extraction, separation and then structural characterisation of protein (and other biologically relevant species) from biological substrates such as dried blood spots and thin tissue sections is a particular focus. Parameters such as extraction solvent and sampling protocol have been optimised by each sampling procedure. Separation of molecular species extracted from biological samples has been achieved by coupling to an ultra FAIMS chip device (Owlstone, UK). Detected species have been identified via tandem MS/MS experiments e.g. CID, HCD and ETD. Data has been acquired using the following instrumentation: LTQ Orbitrap Velos/Elite (Thermo Fisher Scientific), Synapt G2S (Waters).
- R.L. Griffiths, E.C. Randall, A.M. Race, J. Bunch and H.J. Cooper. Raster-Mode Continuous-Flow Liquid Microjunction Mass Spectrometry Imaging of Proteins in Thin Tissue Sections. Analytical Chemistry, 5683-5687.
- VA Mikhailov, R.L. Griffiths and H.J. Cooper. Liquid Extraction Surface Analysis for Native Mass Spectrometry: Protein Complexes and Ligand Binding. Analytical Chemistry, in press.
- R.L. Griffiths, A.J. Creese, A.M. Race, J. Bunch and H.J. Cooper. LESA FAIMS mass spectrometry for the spatial profiling of proteins from tissue. Analytical Chemistry, 6758-6766.
- R.L. Griffiths and H.J. Cooper. Direct Tissue Profiling of Protein Complexes: Toward Native Mass Spectrometry Imaging. Analytical Chemistry, 606-609.
- R.L. Griffiths, A. Dexter, A.J. Creese and H.J. Cooper. Liquid extraction surface analysis field asymmetric waveform ion mobility spectrometry mass spectrometry for the analysis of dried blood spots. Analyst, 6879-6885.
- J. Sarsby, R.L. Griffiths, A.M. Race, J. Bunch, E.C. Randall, A.J. Creese and H.J. Cooper. Liquid extraction surface analysis mass spectrometry coupled with field asymmetric waveform ion mobility spectrometry for analysis of intact proteins from biological substrates. Analytical Chemistry, 6794-6800.
- N.J. Martin, R.L. Griffiths, R.L. Edwards and H.J. Cooper. Native Liquid Extraction Surface Analysis Mass Spectrometry: Analysis of Noncovalent Protein Complexes Directly from Dried Substrates. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 1152-1158.
- R.L. Griffiths, J. Sarsby, E.J. Guggenheim, A.M. Race, R.T. Steven, J. Fear, P.F. Lalor and J. Bunch. Formal Lithium Fixation Improves Direct Analysis of Lipids in Tissue by Mass Spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 7146-7153.
- R. Singal, J.B. Carrigan, W. Wei, P. Taniere, R.K. Hejmadi, C. Forde, C. Ludwig, J. Bunch, R.L. Griffiths, P.J. Johnson, O. Tucker, D. Alderson, U.L. Gunther and D.G. Ward. MALDI profiles of proteins and lipids for the rapid characterisation of upper GI-tract cancers. Journal of Proteomics, 207-215.
- J.M. Fonville, C.L. Carter, L. Pizarro, R.T. Steven, A.D. Palmer, R.L. Griffiths, P.F. Lalor, J.C. Lindon, J.K. Nicholson, E. Holmes and J. Bunch. Hyperspectral Visualization of Mass Spectrometry Imaging Data. Analytical Chemistry, 1415-1423.
- R.L. Griffiths and J. Bunch. A survey of useful salt additives in matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry and tandem mass spectrometry of lipids: introducing nitrates for improved analysis. Rapid communications in mass spectrometry, 1557-1566.
- A.D. Palmer, R.L. Griffiths, I. Styles, E. Claridge, A. Calcagni and J. Bunch. Sucrose cryo-protection facilitates imaging of whole eye sections by MALDI mass spectrometry. Journal of mass spectrometry, 237-241.